Preparations and Recovery Protocols
Preparing for Pre and Post Surgery is by far the best thing you can do to help you get through such an invasive ordeal. By preparing for your surgery you can dramatically reduce your risks of Infections, Re-Occurrences, Spreading of the Cancer, Side Effects, Inflammation and Down Time. Today I would like to share with you some simple strategies you can incorporate before and after surgery that can potentially make a huge difference in helping you get through your cancer surgery with less side effects and better results.
Unfortunately, I have had way too many patients that have gone through some form of cancer treatment or another and have no help or insight from their Oncologist as to how to properly prepare for their cancer surgery or even what to do after. I have been told that these patients felt the focus they feel their oncologist had was to just do the surgery and how they handled it or felt was of no concern to their Doctor. I don’t know how true or common this is. What I do know is that all docs are different, and ultimately it is up to you to figure out, sift through some research and figure out exactly what is best for you.
Extensive research has shown that using an integrative approach to attack cancer, using both complementary and conventional medicine, is by far the best approach for helping someone get through cancer surgery. This integrative approach helps with minimizing side effects, complications, additional spreading of cancerous cells, and a faster recovery time.
Below is a breakdown guide to help you before, during, and after your surgery:
1 MONTH BEFORE SURGERY Focus on Dietary + Lifestyle Changes
- Eat healthy = Organic foods from God or Nature; not processed man made or toxic ingredients. Fruits, Vegetables, Meats and Fish (all must be organic, free range, grass fed, and wild)
- Ketogenic Diet1: Reduces blood flow to tumors, making for easier removal
- Flaxseeds2,3: Organic freshly ground flaxseeds taken daily reduces tumor growth and aggressiveness.
- Exercise: Stay active with a regular and tolerable exercise regimen
- Stress Reduction: Utilize techniques to reduce stress such as Yoga, Meditation, and Hypnosis
- Prepare: Ask your Doctors and loved ones for help and support
3 WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY Supplements to start:
- Vitamin A: 3,000-10,000 IUs 1x/Daily for Wound Healing (1 drop 2x)
- Vitamin C + Quercetin + Hesperidin: 1,000mg 3x/Daily for Wound Healing
- Zinc Citrate: 60mg/day spread out for Wound Healing
- Omega 3 Fish Oil5,11 (Wild fish only): 2-4 grams Daily for Inflammation Reduction. Increases Survival, Reduces Infection and Quicker Recovery Time. * Discontinue 1 week before surgery
Support Liver & Boost your Immune System: Less likely to develop postoperative infections. AS well as reduced risk of allowing malignant cells to spread to other sites from the surgery.
- Mushrooms3b: Boosts immune system, relieves chemotherapy symptoms, fights Metastatic Tumor Cells, and extends survival rate. *Discontinue 1 week before surgery
- Aloe Vera4: Antiviral and Antitumor benefits. Aids with minimizing any type of Cancer spread. *Discontinue 1 week before surgery
Stop Angiogenesis: Removing the tumor can cause new blood vessels to grow, allowing for the cancer to survive, grow and possibly spread.
- EGCG6: 350-700mg/day. Found to suppress Angiogenesis. *Discontinue 1 week before surgery
- Luteolin flavonoid/Antioxidants7: 1 serving/day. Essential fruits and vegetables to help stop Angiogenesis and reduces size of tumors.
- Inositol Hexaphosphate (IP6)8: Start with 900mg per day and increase daily by 1 capsule up to tolerance (no more than 18g/day). Inhibits cell growth and Angiogenesis. * Discontinue 1 week before surgery
1 WEEK BEFORE SURGERY:
Eliminate supplements or herbs that may negatively impact or interact with the surgical procedure. The Following List plus above mentions*
1 DAY BEFORE SURGERY:
- Modified Citrus Pectin9,10: Like scotch tape to Metastatic Cancer Cells. These Cancerous Cells attach to this M.C.P. vs other healthy cells. Start this the day before surgery and continue for 3-6 months post-surgery.
Dosage: Take 3 pellets under the tongue away from food and water
Duration: The night before surgery, the morning of surgery, and then up to once every hour for symptoms post-surgery.
- Hypericum 6c or 30c: For nerve injury and pain
- Staphysagria 6c or 30c: For injury at the emotional and mental level
- Arnica 6c or 30c: For relief of trauma, edema, and inflammation.
Immediately After Surgery: Unfortunately, hospital food can often be high in sugar, bad fats and processed chemicals. All of which can fuel cancerous cells. * Patients can bring their own foods into hospitals.
ALL Post-Surgery Meals should be Organic, blended before consuming and should be ingested until Normal Bowl Functions are restored.
Before Surgery Preparation: Prepare frozen blended organic liquid meals with foods such as:
- Bone Broth
- Whey Protein
- Coconut milk
- MCT Oil
- Spinach / Veggies
- Collagen Powder
- Soups with vegetables, chicken and broth
Continue with the 1 MONTH BEFORE SURGERY Protocols for 6 months (ideally a lifetime)
Continue with the 3 WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY supplement listed above for 6 months
Take Probiotics for Immune, Gut and Bowel Repair: 10-20 billion organisms 1 capsule 3x/day away from food and antibiotics. For 2 to 6 months.
Wound Healing and Pain Management:
- Bromelain: 500mg 2-4x/day. 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. For wound healing
- Curcumin: 1000-1,400mg daily. For wound healing and reducing inflammation
- Protein: Higher levels for tissue repair. Organic Meats, Fish, Collagen, Eggs, Poultry, etc…
- Topical or Internal CBD Oil: Dosage varies from brands. Follow practitioner or manufacturer recommendations. Great for those not responding well to morphine.
- Omega 3 Fish Oils11,12: 4-8 g/day for reduced pain and inflammation
For Nausea and Vomiting:
- Nux Vomica 30c: Homeopathic 3 pellets under tongue every 1-2 hours away from food and water
- Ginger capsules: 500mg every 4 to 6 hours
- Water: Purified water ½ ounce per 1lb of body weight
- Walk around as much as you are comfortably able to
Stop Angiogenesis / Control Metastasis (the spreading): Take for the next 3 to 6 months:
- Modified Citrus Pectin: 6g dissolved in water 2x/day on empty stomach.
- EGCG 700mg 3x/day
- Vitamin E: 400 IUs /day
PLoS One. 2015; 10(6): e0130357.
Published online 2015 Jun 17. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0130357
The Ketogenic Diet Alters the Hypoxic Response and Affects Expression of Proteins Associated with Angiogenesis, Invasive Potential and Vascular Permeability in a Mouse Glioma Model
Eric C. Woolf, Kara L. Curley, Qingwei Liu, Gregory H. Turner, Julie A. Charlton, Mark C. Preul, and Adrienne C. Scheck
Front Nutr. 2018; 5: 4.
Published online 2018 Feb 7. doi: 10.3389/fnut.2018.00004
The Effect of Flaxseed in Breast Cancer: A Literature Review
Ana Calado, Pedro Miguel Neves, Teresa Santos, and Paula Ravasco
Flaxseed Stunts The Growth Of Prostate Tumors
Date: June 4, 2007
Source: Duke University Medical Center
Altern Med Rev. 2000 Feb;5(1):4-27.
The use of mushroom glucans and proteoglycans in cancer treatment.
Int Immunopharmacol. 2001 Jul;1(7):1275-84.
Acemannan purified from Aloe vera induces phenotypic and functional maturation of immature dendritic cells.
Lee JK1, Lee MK, Yun YP, Kim Y, Kim JS, Kim YS, Kim K, Han SS, Lee CK.
Crit Care Med. 2006 Apr;34(4):972-9.
Omega-3 fatty acids improve the diagnosis-related clinical outcome.
Heller AR1, Rössler S, Litz RJ, Stehr SN, Heller SC, Koch R, Koch T.
Front Biosci. 2008 Jan 1;13:440-52.
EGCG inhibits growth, invasion, angiogenesis and metastasis of pancreatic cancer.
Shankar S1, Ganapathy S, Hingorani SR, Srivastava RK.
Cancer Res. 2004 Nov 1;64(21):7936-46.
Luteolin inhibits vascular endothelial growth factor-induced angiogenesis; inhibition of endothelial cell survival and proliferation by targeting phosphatidylinositol 3′-kinase activity.
Bagli E1, Stefaniotou M, Morbidelli L, Ziche M, Psillas K, Murphy C, Fotsis T.
J Surg Res. 2006 Jun 1;133(1):3-6. Epub 2006 Mar 23.
Inositol hexaphosphate (IP6) inhibits cellular proliferation in melanoma.
Rizvi I1, Riggs DR, Jackson BJ, Ng A, Cunningham C, McFadden DW.
Carbohydr Res. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2010 Sep 28.
Published in final edited form as:
Carbohydr Res. 2009 Sep 28; 344(14): 1788–1791.
Published online 2008 Sep 26. doi: 10.1016/j.carres.2008.08.038
Modified citrus pectin anti-metastatic properties: one bullet, multiple targets
Vladislav V. Glinsky and Avraham Raz
Glycobiology. 2008 Sep;18(9):735-44. doi: 10.1093/glycob/cwn062. Epub 2008 Jun 25.
Galectin-9 suppresses tumor metastasis by blocking adhesion to endothelium and extracellular matrices.
Nobumoto A1, Nagahara K, Oomizu S, Katoh S, Nishi N, Takeshita K, Niki T, Tominaga A, Yamauchi A, Hirashima M.
Integr Cancer Ther. 2002 Mar;1(1):7-37; discussion 37.
Nutritional and botanical modulation of the inflammatory cascade–eicosanoids, cyclooxygenases, and lipoxygenases–as an adjunct in cancer therapy.
Surg Neurol. 2006 Apr;65(4):326-31.
Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) as an anti-inflammatory: an alternative to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for discogenic pain.
Maroon JC1, Bost JW.